January 05, 2007

The worst kind of failure

So, I entered a blog-a-day blogging challenge yesterday and promptly lost it. I didn't blog! On the first day! It wasn't on purpose; I just forgot. It is depressing, though, for two reasons:
  1. I think it may have cost me five bucks.
  2. How could I have failed so miserably and so quickly? I'm already feeling like a general failure and this just feels like the final nail in the coffin. Or whatever.
But there may be hope still. Will my fellow bloggers allow me to start again? Today? This time for real? I hope so.

Maybe the fact that I had an idea for a post yesterday will swing the vote in my favor. I was going to write about Courtney Love's diary-excerpt book, Dirty Blonde. (Yes, again.) Because my last post was about an article about the book and now I have a copy of the book itself. I've only read the introductions and about two pages, but I think that my assessment of the book may be different from Ariel Levy's. (I have to wonder why I was so quick to agree with her before--because I rarely agree with her in general. But what's done is done.)

OK, maybe this is a boring thing to write about since I don't really have anything to say about the book yet. But I will add one thing: I was shocked to see that Professional Feminists Amy Richards and Jennifer Baumgardner (of Manifesta fame) have written the afterword to Dirty Blonde. What will they say?! And how were they chosen to write it? I know they think that they're so hip and, it seems, punk rock. But they are not. Just 'cause one is blonde (and gay) and the other wears skirts (often brown and tweed-ish, I might add) does not mean that they are cool and/or radical enough for COURTNEY LOVE!

I think that so-called Third Wave Feminism (the caps are important here) needs a new face (and a less condescending tone). The awesome women over at Bitch magazine could fill in here. (Deborah Solomon's semi-recent interview with Bitch editorial and creative director Andi Zeisler in the New York Times Magazine proves Ziesler's abilities quite nicely. [I'm looking for a free copy to link to.]) But I really think it should be me.

No comments: