January 15, 2007

Ugh.

Not that many things have happened today, but it still sucked. Part of the sucky-ness has been due to my thoughts about my life (e.g. that it sucks). I'm reading this book called It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths about Life in Your Twenties, so that should give you an idea about where I'm coming from and where I'm about to go. The good thing about the book is that the worries and problems that the writers discuss certainly echo my own. So at least I don't feel like I'm totally crazy. But I can't really envision the happy endings (or at least the happy twists on the endings) that these women offer. Yes, it's true that I'm holding out hope for my thirties to mark the beginning of a new and better era, especially as my twenties come closer and closer to their end. ('Cause it can't get much worse than this, can it?) But I really doubt that I'll be so wittily appreciative once it's all said and done. Will I really feel so warmly nostalgic for the ways in which this decade of my life made me the "smart, sassy woman that I am today?" I doubt it--and not just because I don't think I would ever use the word "sassy" so seriously. I think it's more likely that, looking back, I'll write something like this: "The best part of my twenties was falling in love with all fifteen of my cats. But I really could have done that at any age."

[Note: There are a bunch of things that I like about the book, though. And one of the best ones is the name of a stuffed animal that's a mini daschund: Weenis! So good!]

No comments: